Having your home professionally staged is one of the most effective things you can do to maximize your selling price and minimize your time in the market. I say your time "in" the market because homes that are priced properly and staged professionally are truly "in" the market. You can put your house for sale and be "on" the market...but sellers who really want to get their home sold quickly and for the most money want to go the extra step to put their house "in" the market.
As a professional full-time Realtor© I can tell you that having your home staged is one of the best investments you can make when selling your home. Research has shown that professionally staged homes sell quicker and for more money than homes that are not professionally staged. The numbers are impressive:
- US Housing and Urban Development states that on average,a staged home will sell 17% higher than a comparable home that is not staged.
- In the 2012 HomeGain National Home Improvement Survey Results found that home staging has an average return-on-investment of 196%.
- The 2012 Real Estate Staging Association (RESA) Report found that if you invest in home staging before listing you will sell 87% faster.
- The National Association of Realtors states that if you invest 1-3% of the value of your home in staging, updates, and repairs, you could make/save 8-10%.
- Recent statistics submitted by Coldwell Banker Marketing "...shows that 94% of homes staged sold in 29 days or less, compared to an average of 145 days for homes not staged."
Most buyers form an opinion of your home within the first 7-10 seconds they are in your home. If your home doesn't have that 'wow' factor going for it the instant they walk through the door, they typically will sub-consciously decide not to buy it almost immediately. This is where home staging is so important and effective. A professional home stager knows how to create that 'wow' factor that accentuates your home's good points and de-emphasizes any aspects you'd rather buyers not see.
Watch this video of before and after staging from The Springs Houses' partner company, Karen Conrad Home Staging, to see how effective staging your home can be.